Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Min schnauzer has loose stool but having trouble passing

Customer Question

Min schnauzer has loose stool but having trouble passing stool. Goes in house (never use to). Has not eaten in two days! Offer tuna, roast beef, bologna, all the things he would normally wolf down. Had him at the vet 2 wks ago for having trouble with urinating. Took medicine, maybe a little better. The dog is 15 yrs. Old and I hate to think about the worst. In the store now to buy salmon, some low sodium beef broth to give him some nourishment. If it doesn't work what will entice him to eat? All he does is lay around and shake, even goes under the bed to get away it seems. Dave. Chambersburg, pa
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question Dave. I am sorry to learn Jake is not feeling well. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- How long has this been going on?

3- Is he straining to defecate?

4- Any vomiting?

5- What is the name of the medication he is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Straining, yes vomitted only once this afternoon. Don't see any blood in the stool but their could be some that I don't see. Meds. Was for 1wk sulfamethoxazole/trimethroprim 480mg cut in 1/4 dose. The medicine made him sick so we stopped it after 7 days @2per day. After about 2 days he was back to his old self eating and energetic for about 4 or 5 days and now this, bowel problems for the last 2days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He would not eat the salmon or the chicken broth just now.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the straining you are seeing is consistent with inflammation in the colon (large intestines). When the colon is inflamed the patient feels like they need to go and for this reason they strain giving the impression as if they are having trouble defecating. But, in reality it is just the colon inflamed. His lack of appetite is secondary to not feeling well. The loose stool and diarrhea are a consequence of the inflammation. This can be caused by many different medical conditions. Common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. I would strongly recommend a re-check exam with family vet . In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity and inflammation in the colon. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter