Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dobie has a large bump in her mouth above the back upper

Customer Question

Customer: my dobie has a large bump in her mouth above the back upper teeth gum area. it is very hard and she doent show any pain or discomfort even when it is pressed. the side of her face just looks bulged. on drainage,no sores no iritation. she acts normal. i have not been to the vet yet.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its very hard like bone growth...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ill wait
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your dog. I do have a few additional questions to ask first if you don't mind:

1. How old is your Dobe?

2. How long has the oral mass been present?

3. Do you think you could send me a picture of it? This LINK walks you through the process.

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Psyche is 5 1/2 years old. i noticed it 2 weeks ago. i thought it may be because when playing around with the other dog in our home she hit the door frame...i just heard a loud bump sound but they contiued playing. ill take a pic.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

If it's all the same to you, I'd like to wait to reply after I've seen the picture you send...if you manage to take one and post it that is. There are a number of possible explanations for the lesion you've found and I may have a better idea of what it might be once I've viewed it.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the pics of psyche
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
long day at work...hope you got the pics
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pictures since they definitely help but I'm sorry that I was off my computer when you sent them.

I can understand why you might think this would be secondary to trauma when she was playing with the other dog, and while I couldn't entirely rule it out, this possibility seems less likely to me since the swelling has been present for two weeks. I would have expected it to have resolved or diminished by now if that were the problem.

Of course, I can't know for sure but this looks like there may be an abscess or infection present underneath the skin.

I'd want to rule out an infection at the root of a tooth before anything else although a foreign body reaction is possible as well.

If this is an infection, then Psyche may need to be sedated and the area lanced and flushed since I'm not certain if systemic antibiotics would be entirely effective although it's possible that they might resolve the problem alone if you're reluctant to sedate her (for whatever reason).

I generally try to recommend over the counter treatment options for owners to consider at home but unless you have access to antibiotics, there really aren't any medications which would be terribly effective or likely to help:( But, if you do have access to such drugs as Amoxicillin or Cephalexin or Clindamycin or Baytril, please let me know and I can provide dosage amounts if I know how much she weighs.

I suspect you might be concerned about cancer which can develop in the mouth but this doesn't look at all like the cancers I've seen in the past. So, I hope this helps to reassure you at least about this possibility.

If the swelling had only been present for a few days, then it's possible that it might have diminished on its own; however, since it's been there for two weeks not, it seems less likely that this is going to happen. At this point, a vet visit might be prudent.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the area is bone hard....if it was an infection..wouldnt it be painful?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily especially if the primary infection involves the root of a tooth.

One relatively easy way to tell if the tooth root is involved would be with a dental x-ray if your vet has this equipment (not all vets do).

There is maxillary bone located in this area but it would be quite uncommon for it to proliferate such an extent in such a short period of time (or at all).

Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have been looking up sarcoma..could that be it?sorry for the late response...work..busy
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

No worries although I was curious to know how your dog was doing.

I suppose cancer such as a sarcoma could be responsible for the swelling although I've never seen it look like this. Typically, there's an obvious oral mass which is present in the mouth, not under the skin.

A Chondroma (which is completely benign) or osteoma are other possibilities although they aren't common. Unfortunately, it would take a biopsy to diagnose such a condition.

I'd love to know if an aspirate of the swelling is possible. If a needle doesn't penetrate the swelling, then an x-ray would be the next step...at least for me anyway. Even an MRI might be diagnostic but, of course, is quite expensive.

Deb