Dr. B
Dr. B, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  B.S. and D.V.M. at Texas A&M University, 10+ yrs experience practicing very high quality medicine & surgery
16944058

I was just my mini schnauzer and I noticed a small pocket

Customer Question

I was just petting my mini schnauzer and I noticed a small pocket like mushy bubble in his side lower abdomen under ribs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B replied 1 year ago.

Hi Guzmo,

I'd be happy to give you my opinion. Do realize that our discussion is limited by the fact that I cannot actually physically examine Gizmo. Seeing with my own eyes and touching with my own hands cannot be replaced by our best discussions here.

So I have a couple of questions for you:

How big is it?

Does it irritate or hurt Gizmo when you mess with it?

Does the skin and fur over it look normal (so the bubble is truly under the skin and not part of the skin)?

Can you grab it with your fingers and slide it around, or does it feel attached underneath and won't really move?

I look forward to hearing back from you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Skin looks fine it feels like a can slide it around size approx of silver dollar
He doesn't react when I touch it
Expert:  Dr. B replied 1 year ago.

Based on what you have described, as well as the location, the odds are extremely high this is a lipoma. Lipomas are benign (not malignant/cancerous) fatty growths that Schnauzers are known to get. Most owners don't notice them when they are small, then one day they are petting them in just the right spot and come across it (just like you did). There is a simple test your veterinarian can do to diagnose it in the office that involves sticking a small needle into it and looking at the cells under the microscope.

I am attaching a link that describes what lipomas are. You will read that there is such a thing as a malignant/cancerous lipoma (liposarcoma), but these really are exceedingly rare. Liposarcomas also tend to grow rapidly. So aside from taking Gizmo to the vet for the needle aspirate I described above, I highly recommend you measure it. Grab it with two fingers at the longest length of the growth and set a ruler on it to measure the distance between your fingers. Repeat measurement in 3-4 weeks to see if it has changed. Benign lipomas will grow (so don't let that scare you), but they grow slowly. For instance, if this is a lipoma, it could double in size over the course of 1-2 years (vs 1-2 months for a cancerous liposarcoma).

Here is the link on lipomas:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3327

Here is a link on Gizmo's breed. The reason I include this is if you scroll to the bottom, you will see that lipomas are a common occurrence in his breed. You can also click the lipoma link on this page to read more:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/selecting-a-dog/choosing-a-breed/miniature-schnauzers---choosing-a-miniature-schnauzer---dog-breeds

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Bryant

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I hope this is it and not anything major
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome! Truly, I would bet lots of money this is a lipoma. Very, very common.