Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 11 year old female greyhound has a female discharge. Is

Customer Question

our 11 year old female greyhound has a female discharge. Is yellow and on the thick side. Is this something I should have checked out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry that your Betty has this discharge. Yes I would encourage a veterinary exam. This could be a simple vulvar inflammatory response or the beginning of a urinary tract infection and in order to differentiate the two your vet needs to look at this material under the microscope to see if there is just white cells or if we have bacteria as well

Until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with the bleeding.

In addition, wiping the area with a baby wipe frequently throughout the day to remove the debris, especially after urination

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another few hours if I can be of any further assistance to you both today. If you are satisfied with my responses please rate with the stars on the top of the screen or type your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat format. Thank you and best wishes to you both!