Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

11 year old small mix 8 pds very active. Is now standing in

Customer Question

11 year old small mix 8 pds very active. Is now standing in one spot head down tail between legs sometimes shakes back arched. No diarria no vomiting still eating and drinking water and pooping normal .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear that Tinker is not feeling well. When you encourage her to walk is she stiff legged with tail tucked? Hesitation with movement? Any crying out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take her for a walk around the block after we walked about a block yes she was stiffed legged all fours and did tuck in her tail, the temperature us also newly cold we went from 60 to 50 and now we are in the 30's her symptoms also seemed to have come on with the cold 30's.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

My primary concern with this information is an injury to the back back, not necessarily doing something like jumping off the furniture and crying out, they can be walking around the house and have a disc herniation because of their anatomy which can be exacerbated by the cold

Here is more information on this condition:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will follow your instructions and get her to her vet first thing in the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, you both are in my thoughts. Is there anything else I can assist with today?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and Tinker? Were you able to get her to your vet today? I would love an update when you are able!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doris,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tinker. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman