Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Golden ret. has chewed on the handle of a Clorox bottle and

Customer Question

Golden ret. has chewed on the handle of a Clorox bottle and some came out I don't know if swallowed. I don't think he got any down but there was a puddle on the floor.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?

2- How long since this happen?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of Clorox is that it can cause oral and gastrointestinal ulceration. I would recommend the following:

1- Rinse his mouth with plenty of water for a few minutes.

2- Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 0.1-0.2 mg per pound body weight every 12 hours for 1 week. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

3- If he becomes lethargic, anorexic, vomiting, etc. have him checked by family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter