Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

12 year old schnauzer, in a week, gone from reasonable

Customer Question

12 year old schnauzer, in a week, gone from reasonable hearing to deaf. No other symptoms evident. Thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is not unusual for an older dogs hearing to be the first to go due to wax build up or blocking of the nerve supply from inflammation. It is best to have your vet check Connor's ears, clean them thoroughly and check for any polyps or tumors that could be blocking the canal causing him to be near deaf. Luckily, dogs do well without hearing as long as you teach Connor hand signals. Take him to a specialist for these tests and treatments to be sure there is not anything anything more that can be done to reestablish sweet Connor's hearing.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Hi Richard,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Connor. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta