Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Pancake is making a honking noise as motioning as if she is

Customer Question

Customer: Pancake is making a honking noise as motioning as if she is trying to throw up. She makes this very now and then but nothing comes up and we are not sure what to do.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She's not over weight, gums and tongue are pink and she's moving normally. It just every ocve in a Every once in a while this happens
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I ma so sorry that it has taken so ling to answer your question.

If Pancake is otherwise healthy and eating well, this is most likely a Tracheobronchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very contagious disease that causes a hacking cough so much so that it appears as if they have something stuck in their throat and they feel like throwing up but nothing comes up. This is often contracted at a kennel, groomer, or vets office because this disease is air borne. Since this disease is air borne, Pancake can pick this up anywhere. Luckily, this is a self limiting disease that will eventually go away on its own. Give your gal 1 teaspoon of Robitussin DM per 20 pounds of your dog's weight given every 8 hrs. This will calm down the cough so she is more comfortable. It is best to have your vet examine Pancake to be sure there is not something else causing this such as an infection or heart disease.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta