Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

What can I do to encouage my 15 year old mix to eat? I have

Customer Question

What can I do to encouage my 15 year old mix to eat? I have tried changing foods and mixing canned food with human food to hide the aroma of the canned food. I have taken her to the vet, who couldn't find anything (other than old age) wrong and even complimented me on my dogs teeth.
I know she is not long for this world, but I would hate to lose her to starvation.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry Odie is not eating for you. I can give you some basic guidelines but if they are not successful then I would advise urging your veterinarian to dispense some medications for her, cerenia (nausea) and mirtazipine (appetite stimulant).

Things to try at home:
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound 30 minutes before attempting to feed twice daily to reduce stomach acids and hopefully entice her appetite
- Jarred baby food meat varieties, canned cat food (strong odor), ground bison meat that will have a more "gamey" odor that dogs prefer, and for some reason rotisserie chicken works well for some pets when nothing else will. There are prescription foods for this purpose as well, hill's a/d diet and iams maximum calorie formula at your veterinary office
- Warming foods which wafts out the smell to encourage appetites

I would also rule out pain related reduced appetite and if bloodwork has looked good recently consider putting her on a short course of pain medication to see if that helps with her appetite which can be an issue in these situations.

I hope this information is helpful to you and Odie, I know this is such a terrible situation to be in and have been there with personal pets and there is nothing worse than watching your beloved friend fade away when you are trying to get them to eat.

My thoughts are with you as you move forward and I truly hope this information is helpful to you both. If the above is not effective I would discuss the mirtazipine with your veterinarian to stimulate her appetite and hopefully encourage her to eat...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour tonight

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you