Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think my puppy (6months) has an ear infection. The vet is

Customer Question

I think my puppy (6months) has an ear infection. The vet is closed. I have ear drops from my other dog from when she had an ear infection. Not sure what to do. I hate knowing he might have to wait till Monday.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Bo.

Can you tell me the name of the ear drops which were dispensed for your other dog?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hydrocortisone aceponate/miconazole nitrate/gentamin sulfate
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

The first two ingredients aren't too much of a problem; however, we don't typically recommend Gentamin Sulfate if there's a perforated eardrum.

It would be highly unlikely that a puppy this age would have an eardrum that wasn't intact, but I just wanted to mention it to be thorough.

If this were my own personal dog or my case, I'd use this product if an ear infection were present. 1-2 drops twice a day for 5-7 days (or a little longer, if necessary).

If the ear becomes red or more irritated or if a head tilt develops, then the drops should be discontinued immediately.

I should point out that it's illegal for me to suggest the use of a product for a patient for whom it wasn't prescribed (even those involving canine patients), but I can provide information about the product which is what I have done.

I would also gently clean the ear(s) out once a day with a 50/50 white vinegar/water solution if you don't have a specific ear cleaner designed for the job.

I hope this helps and that Bo's ear issue resolves quickly. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I waited to put anything in his ear until we seen the vet Monday morning. I was so worried to do the wrong thing. The vet allowed him to have the drops and now it seems like it is clearing up nicely. :)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for taking the time to send me an update about Bo.

I'm glad that you decided to be safe rather than sorry and even happier that he appears to be responding to his medication:)

Kind regards, Deb