Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Bjork. Double dilute alopecia on min pin.. How do I stop the

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** bjork. Double dilute alopecia on min pin.. How do I stop the hair loss and help it grow back.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: all the tests and biopsy... came out to be alopecia. she is a blue min pin. and losing hair on back and sides...
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure but I need more of an answer than melatonin
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that your girl is having hair loss. It looks like you and your vet have done a great job of working up her hair loss - a biopsy is the gold standard for obtaining this diagnosis. I know that this is probably not what you want to hear but there really aren't any treatments for color dilution alopecia. The disease is an abnormality of the hair follicle that causes it to be unable to grow new hairs, no matter how we treat them. Management is aimed at avoiding harsh soaps and prevention and control of secondary bacterial infections that are likely to occur secondary to the abnormal hair follicles. You mentioned melatonin, but it's unlikely to work, as I suspect you already know. Unfortunately there is no treatment for this disease that will get the hair to regrow - no matter how many of us you ask. I realize that my answer is probably not going to be to your liking but I also didn't want to leave you hanging waiting for a response. Please let me know what other questions I can handle for you.

~Dr. Sara