Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

Our 11 year old spaniel has been diagnosed with an Anal

Customer Question

Hi
Our 11 year old king charles spaniel has been diagnosed with an Anal tumour. The diagnosis was received about 12 months ago and our regular vet has not provided any treatment as they say its terminal and no treatment would help.
We would really like to know if there are any other opinions and if we can give any other treatments a try??
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog has a mass on his anus. There are two different kinds of masses we see on the anus of dogs- perianal adenoma and perianal adenocarcinoma. The adenomas are benign and can just become uncomfortable due to their size and location, but do not spread to other parts of the body. The adenocarcinomas are very aggressive tumors that will spread quickly to other parts of the body (especially the lungs) and be the cause of death within months.

If your dog is still alive and doing well, in spite of the mass, I would suspect that you are dealing with the adenoma type of tumor.

I would recommend seeking a second opinion on the mass. These can be surgically removed or at least debulked (reduce the size of the mass) to make the pet more comfortable. You can also consider a biopsy of the mass before major surgery for a confirmation on its true nature. You can also consult a veterinary oncologist who can walk you through all of the options and recommend a surgeon for the biopsy and removal.

Does this help? Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is your dog this evening? Were you able to find a new vet to discuss surgical options for the mass? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda