Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

When I run my hands down s back s skin crwls and s back end

Customer Question

When I run my hands down his back his skin crwls and his back end gets weak
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

What you describe is a normal itch response for a dog when they have an itchy or new tickle spot. Treating symptomatically for any irregularities in the skin in this area such as flaking, rougher coat, bumps, thinner coat should help the area be less sensitive but in some cases it will continue because it is a new tickle spot. My German Shepherd is the tail head area and she will drop due to weakness and scratching in this area with a faint touch!

- Oatmeal based dog shampoo daily with ten minute contact time to the affected area before rinsing and tapering as the response subsides
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound (I understand for a Dane will be substantial) every 8-12 hours if there is constant itching on his own. May cause mild sedation
- Begin fish oil 2000 mg EPA & DHA daily to help improve coat and skin health but will take 2-4 weeks to take full effect

This should help reduce the frequency and severity of Dodge's reaction but again it may not resolve completely if he is not ticklish in this area

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am online another 10 minutes before having to exit for a few hours but will return if I miss you to answer any additional questions you may have

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!