Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Dog Mía she is 14 months is being sick last three months

Customer Question

Hi my Dog Mía she is 14 months is being sick for the last three months with skin infections she's been to the Vet three times in the last three months , now she has this big hives or humps, her appointment with the Vet is on Monday morning but she is suffering a lot with the scratching , what can I do to help her, I been giving her an antihistamine , but it seems that is not working 😢
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Mia is not feeling well. she is suffering from allergies and the treatment for this is as follows:

Give Mia Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days. I know you are already giving an antihistamine but make sure the dose is correct. This can go as high as 2 mg per pound every 12 hrs.
Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated or has bumps every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures and/or allergy testing to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Expert:  Kent-cssm replied 1 year ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/dog-health/9fa72-dog-m-a-14-months-sick-last-three.html).
Thank you,
The JustAnswer Customer Support Team