Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a American bulldog and he is getting very bad scabs

Customer Question

Hey there I have a American bulldog and he is getting very bad scabs and rash around his private bits and other parts ov his body the vet has given various types of tablets and none are working could you help please
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This breed can be prone to these problems due to the folds of skin especially in his private parts. The best treatment for this is a daily wash with Betadine or 70% alcohol in these areas that are affected . This will dry out these areas so the bacteria cannot grow and is available at the pharmacy over the counter. I often treat these with long term cephalexin since these are staph infections that can be constant in the folds. I believe that your vet is doing all the treatments correct but they muct be long term or they wil recur as you have probably seen.

I have also had good results with these types of lesions using Gentocin Spray which contains an anti bacterial as well as a steroid. This is sprayed on these areas every 12 hrs and also dries out these areas so the bacteria cannot grow. Check with your vet about this very effective product.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Graham Lyons. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta