Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog just jumped out of bed and started screaming. nothing

Customer Question

my dog just jumped out of bed and started screaming. nothing appears to be broken but she is panting heavily and is shaking. We gave her a dog pain pill but she is shaking a lot. Is there anything I can do to calm her down.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Which medication did you give her? Was it effective? Which breed and how old is your dog? I suspect an intervertebral disk prolapse ("slipped disk") in a small dog but a thorough exam will be needed to identify the source of her pain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for you reply. My Ellie is a 18 month black lab. she weighs 74 lbs. and as of my last vet visits 2 weeks ago is in great health. We just got her the 3 year vaccinations. The pill I gave her was a Novox for the pain. We were up all night with her. Panting heavily and hind quarters shaking. I am assuming this is a response to the pain. This morning she went outside and urinated drank some water even ate a little. She is no longer panting but her shaking, even though more mild, still evident. She seems to be resting comfortably in front of the pellet stove but for sure not herself. Resting might be just what she needs. Any more thoughts?

Thank you for the good update. While such a young Lab isn't the most likely dog to have hurt her back jumping down, spinal pain still needs to be considered. I would be concerned about her spraining or straining a limb if she were lame but you haven't mentioned lameness. Yes, panting and shaking usually indicate pain but also anxiety and fear. It's reasonable to continue the Novox at 12 hour intervals and see if that nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) suffices to normalize Ellie. Should paresis (weakness) or, indeed, paralysis arise in any limb(s) Ellie should be attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience.

Was the Novox prescribed for a musculoskeletal problem which now might have relapsed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ellie severl months ago injured her back left leg while running around playing. During her most recent vet visit she was given an all clear on that injury. I had asked my vet for some just to have around the house in case she re-injured herself. That is why I have it. Her leg did not seem to be the cause of last nights dilemma in that when I checked her leg she didn't respond like it was injured. I plan on a vet visit Monday when they re-open. I am going to let her rest as she wishes and make sure she is feed and watered the rest of the weekend. Again, she seems to be resting more comfortably this am but we are still quite concerned for her. I will continue with the Novox every 12 hours as you have suggested and keep an I on her. Thank you again.

Thank you for the additional information. I agree with your plan. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?