Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a female 1 1/2 year old chihuahua who ate rat poison

Customer Question

I have a female 1 1/2 year old chihuahua who ate rat poison containing bromethalin. She ate one square piece about 1 inch by 1/2 inch. We took her to our local vet after she vomited large amounts of green gunk and food. he gave her a shot of what I believe was vitamin K. She had an alergic reaction and we rushed her back and she got a shot for that. I am scared she isnt getting the proper treatment or there is more they or we could be doing or that her death is inevitable from what I have read online. Is there any chance my dog survives this or anything else we can be doing?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Clint

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. What was the time gap { In minutes or hours } between her swallowing the rat poison and then vomiting?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott