Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog was neutered on Tuesday, he still isn't acting mself,

Customer Question

My dog was neutered on Tuesday, he still isn't acting himself, he seems uncomfortable but incision looks fine. Is this normal???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Kobe isn't back to is usual self quite yet. It's not unusual for them to be a little subdued, sometimes for a week or two depending on how sensitive the pet is. The important thing is to watch his attitude and appetite - he should still be active, eating and drinking normally. His gums should be bubblegum pink. If you see that he's stopped eating or is quite lethargic or any sign of infection with the incision (swelling, redness, discharge) those are red flags. Definitely do call your vet to be sure that what you're seeing is also what they would consider normal, just in case there's something about his case that I don't know that would change how we handle him. If your vet prescribed pain medication, do keep giving it according to the directions on the label and don't hesitate to ask for more if you run out and feel like he still needs it.

I hope that this helps - what other questions can I handle for you?

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did not give him pain medicine they said he would be fine but agin I was concerned about his personality not being the same and he seems u comfortable but I guess I will give it a couple more days. He is eating and drinking fine he just seems very uncomfortable
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

If your vet is in tomorrow, I would call and request pain medication if you feel that he's painful. Most vets (myself included) feel that pain medication is mandatory after any kind of surgery. It can make the world of difference!

I hope that he's back to his normal self soon :)

~Dr. Sara

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kobe. How is everything going?
Doc Sara