Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Just had a question regarding my dogs shaking. He seems to

Customer Question

Just had a question regarding my dogs shaking.
He seems to shake when he breathes in, and it is not necessarily constant. But I notice the shaking more times than not.
He appears to be eating fine, and drinking regularly. He is still active, jumps and runs. No whining or whimpering. So I cant tell why he shakes. I sometimes wonder if it is nerves or cold, but I cant wrap my finger on it.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry that Dexter hasn't been acting himself lately - I'll do my best to help.

Unfortunately, shivering or shaking is a really vague sign, meaning that it can be caused by a very wide variety of issues. The big ones are pain or discomfort or anxiety. It can be really difficult to track down what the issue is, but usually when owners think about it, then can tell if their pet is painful based on how they're acting otherwise. Many pets who are painful with things like back pain won't jump up or down on/off furniture or might have trouble with the stairs or yelp when they are touched. If he's not physically ill, the shaking can be a sign of anxiety, which can also be difficult to track down. We have to watch for patterns in the behavior to see if there's a common trigger or something that he's fixating on that's upsetting him. Red flags that indicate he needs emergency care would be if he seems in severe pain, his gums are pale or blue/purple in color, he has any kind of breathing distress, or hasn't eaten in >24 hours. These guys can be tough to figure out even with a physical examination and some lab work, so I would suggest that you call your vet to make sure that there's nothing serious going on.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)

Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dexter. How is everything going?
Doc Sara