Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a female border collie around 5 months old. she runs

Customer Question

i have a female border collie around 5 months old. she runs fetches herds and runs and runs more. lately by the end of each day she has started to limp on one or the other front leg and her front legs are both tender when touched. the next morning shes fine and back in hyper drive. a vet trip is fine but xrays or other high ticket things are not an option for us and im not sure holding still is possible for her
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about one week
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

What are you feeding her?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
high quality kibble sale food with milk and or deer turkey or whatever leftover or regular wet dog food if nothing else is available still feeding twice a day. she is very lean and before she limps the picture of health
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the history and symptoms that you are describing could be related to many different medical conditions. Common causes are: A soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury, joint problems (OCD), panosteitis, etc. The fact that this involves both limbs, I would place panosteitis high on the list of possible causes. We really don't know why panosteitis happens but it has been associated with puppies that are growing to fast. To diagnose she would need xrays, but, I understand your financial limitations. This is what you can try:

1- It sounds like she has a very rich diet and this may contribute to panosteitis. I would recommend you change her diet to an adult dog food.

2- Rest her for the next couple of weeks, no running or jumping. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

3- I would discuss with your vet about dispensing Rimadyl (anti inflammatory) to have at hand to be used as needed. If this is related to panosteitis dogs could experience these painful episodes until they are at least 2 years old.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter