Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has ves all over last two days. She is still eating

Customer Question

My dog has hives all over for the last two days. She is still eating drinking. But is miserable. She has taken 20 mg of prednisone qod for the last 2 yes. Our vet is closed until Monday. But the vet at the animal hospital said we could give her half a prednisone every hour until the hives are gone. How much is too much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I"m Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your question about Ziey. I'm sorry that she is having this problem. You absolutely cannot give her 10mg of prednisone hourly regardless of her body weight: it is too much for any dog. Large doses of prednisone can cause gastrointestinal problems for your dog. When dogs require larger doses of steroids (e.g. for autoimmune conditions), then other prescription medications to prevent stomach ulcers are usually prescribed. If you let me know your dog's weight, then I can tell you an appropriate dose for a dog that size. For dogs with hives, it is also appropriate to give Benadryl at 1mg per pound of body weight every 8 - 12 hours. Make certain diphenhydramine is the only active ingredient in the Benadryl product you choose. Aspirin and other nonsteroidal antiinflammatories (e.g. ibuprofen) are very dangerous when used with prednisone so do avoid that.

Thanks,

Dr. Karing