Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Puppy ate to much mom keeps lick baby's bottom and puppy cry

Customer Question

puppy ate to much mom keeps lick baby's bottom and puppy cry when it try to eat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now mum is trying to help address this discomfort for her pup, as her licking should stimulate the pup to pass stool. Still, if that little belly is distended, uncomfortable, and we are not seeing stool; then we do need to help as well. To do so, you can try bottle feeding this little one some water or Pedialyte to help dissolve any food induced blockages. Furthermore, you can treat the pup with a dose of cat hairball treatment from your local pet store. This is a GI lubricant and can help get things moving to reduce all that food filling the GI. (It can cause a bit of loose stool if the pup isn't constipated, but this is ok just now). Finally, if you think this little one is gassy, you can also give a small dose of baby Simethicone (1 mg per 500 grams of body weight). This can be given every 8 hours as needed to reduce gas distension and induced discomfort.

So, these would be options you can try here. Of course, if this little one strains or doesn't start to pass stool and settle, then we'd want a check up with the local vet since they are do delicate when this young.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet