Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I was wondering if restoril helps to sleep and if it is

Customer Question

I was wondering if restoril helps for dogs to sleep and if it is dangerous?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want a free trial but I am willing to pay the 19I would be willing to pay the $19 to just answer a couple of questions as we are going to have to have our dog euthanized in the next few days.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also have on hand Morphine 30 mg. timed release. I just want to get her comfortable until the morning.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have much experience with temazapam (Restoril) in dogs as we do with other benzodiazepines such as diazepam and clorazepam. Restoril appears to be safe, however, with a very high LD50 (the dose at which 50% of dogs are lost) of greater than 1600 mg/kg. A slight but significant drop in blood pressure is seen at 5-20 mg/kg. A drop in spontaneous activity is seen at 10 mg/kg, muscle tone decreases at 20 mg/kg, bradycardia (slow heart rate) is seen at 20-40 mg/kg. If you were to see how it effected your Pug, 2 mg/lb would appear to be reasonable and should induce sleep. The sustained release morphine is used in dogs at 1-2.5 mg/lb twice daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything went well. Our doctor got back into town early and she came over and she was pretty sedated from the 2 Restoril we had given her.
They were the 30 mg. So she was really relaxed and everything extremely well. I couldn't have asked for a better out come. I'm so grateful that they now have a hospice that can come to your house. Makes it so much easier on the dogs and the owners. Thank you

That's good to hear. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.