Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My PBGV has black gums which I noticed after the tip of her

Customer Question

My PBGV has black gums which I noticed after the tip of her tongue is black as well. The white fur around her mouth all of a sudden is reddish/brown color.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that you're referring to lentigo which is an asymptomatic condition characterized by one (lentigo) or more (lentigines) flat macules or patches of black skin or oral mucosa. It's common in dogs with highest incidences reported in middle-aged to older dogs. Melanoma is the only differential but such an invasive cancer should should cause raised, inflamed and painful lesions. The reddish/brown staining is usually due to prophyrins (chemical dyes) present in saliva. It may also appear when yeast (Malassezia) colonize the skin. The staining shouldn't be related to the lentigines.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.