Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Compost can be very poisonous to dogs. The decaying organic matter is a great environment for fungal organisms that will create toxins. Many of these can cause liver and neurologic problems. If this just happened, you can induce vomiting by giving 1 tablespoon (15 mls) of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 lbs of body weight. This can be repeated in 10 minutes if no vomiting has occurred. After vomiting, my best recommendation is to get him to your nearest emergency vet to get put on fluids and monitored for seizures. Clinical signs of poisoning can include agitation, high body temperature, hyper-responsiveness, panting, drooling, and vomiting, and can progress to serious neurologic signs (including incoordination, tremors, and seizures). Signs can start in as little as 30 minutes as well. If you are already seeing some of these signs, I would not recommend to induce vomiting because he could aspirate some of the vomitus into his lungs. At that point, I would just take him straight to your emergency vet. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
If there have not been any symptoms, it should be safe to induce vomiting. If you tell me how much he weighs, I can tell you exactly how much to give.
2 tablespoons, which is the same as 30 mls or 2 ounces, of 3% hydrogen peroxide can be given orally to induce vomiting. If there is no vomiting in 10 minutes, that can be repeated once. Hope this clears it up.
Activated charcoal wouldn't hurt, but it may not help as much with this type of toxicity. Either way, the charcoal tablets or insufficient when there is a toxic ingestion. What we give does is a concentrated liquid. In order to get that amount in the capsules, they have to take at least 30-40. Not very feasible.