Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

I have a chihuahua that seems to be having spells it

Customer Question

I have a chihuahua that seems to be having spells it seizures and 2 vets in my community seem to think it is a learned response for attention. She is currently on phenobarbital and it seems to work on a limited basis, but she still has spells everyday or at least every other . Could this be a seizure and where can I find a vet to take care of her. I have a video showing her soells
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I can answer your question this evening. Have you considered taking her to see a veterinary neurologist? You can find one near you at acvim.org. If there are no neurologists near you, you can also see an internal medicine specialist as they have some training in neurology as well. If you will tell me which city you live in, I can help you find a neurologist near you.

It also sounds like she is having minimal to no response to the phenobarbital and if these truly are seizures, this is not good control of the seizures with phenobarb. There are other medications that may work better for her such as keppra or zonisemide.

Here is a link to a discussion of seizures in dogs which will also help you figure out what is going on with her:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Coco this morning? Any more of the seizure-like episodes? Were you able to find a neurologist near you?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar