How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15117
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have anchored a shelter in the box canvas over our back

Customer Question

We have anchored a shelter in the box canvas over our back patio for the coming winter months to give our rescues a place to go out before going into the big pen. All our dogs are housebroken. They, small and large dogs are eating the railroad ties. Is this dangerous for them?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pups are chewing on and ingesting railroad ties used to anchor the canvas that is sheltering the back patio.

The short answer is that yes, eating railroad ties, and in fact even chewing on them is very dangerous for your pups and kitties. Animals often chew on treated wood, attracted by the taste, but it is very dangerous.

Railroad ties are protected from the effects of the elements by applying preservative products that contain creosote. Creosote is distilled from coal tar.

Phenol is the most dangerous toxic ingredient in coal-tar products. The approximate oral dose in which 50% of animals die after ingesting (LD50) of phenol for most species is 0.5 g/kg, or 0.22mgs per pound of body weight, except for cats which are more susceptible because they lack the ability to metabolize phenols and excrete them rapidly. Phenols are very irritating on contact, and ingestion results in ulcers and tissue death of the skin, lips, gums, tongue, esophagus and stomach. After ingestion or contact with the skin and absorption phenols accumulate in the liver and kidneys, commonly resulting in liver damage and kidney damage.

Cresols are another toxin present in rail road ties and are readily absorbed orally and through the skin. The oral lethal dose is 100–200 mg/kg, or 50-100mgs per pound of body weight, except in cats as I mentioned because they are more sensitive.

Cresols and phenols are locally corrosive, causing tissue death, ulcers, and scarring of skin, mouth, and esophagus, as well as central nervous system stimulation, tremors, and incoordination, and finally cardiovascular depression and shock. Capillary damage and kidney and liver damage can occur.

Death after ingesting a toxic amount can occur from 15 min to several days after exposure.

The first sign of poisoning often is several dead animals.

Due to liver damage we may see inability of the blood to clot properly, either slowly or not at all, and excessive fluid in the abdominal cavity.

There is no specific antidote for coal-tar/creosote product poisoning. Activated charcoal may reduce absorption.

Owners may reduce exposure by administration of egg whites to dilute and bind the phenols.

Skin exposure and irritation can be lessened by bathing with glycerol followed by liquid dish soap.

If organ damage occurs then hospital will be needed for supportive therapy for shock, liver and kidney damage, respiratory failure, and blood gas irregularities. Drug therapies such as N-acetylcysteine have been recommended.

Oral antibiotics, B vitamins, vitamin E, and high-quality–protein diets may aid recovery as well.

Of course the other concerns when chewing on and ingesting any wood are splinters and secondary abscesses in the mouth and throughout the gastrointestinal tract, peritonitis and a gastrointestinal blockage.

In short you absolutely should remove the ties and find another way to anchor the canvas, and you need to watch closely for any signs of toxicity and get your animals seen promptly should they occur.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.