Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

We live in the country (Mt. Vernon, TX)- have an Akita about

Customer Question

We live in the country (Mt. Vernon, TX)- have an Akita about 50 lbs. appears that he was shot in the right side of his rump - looks like a pellet or buck shot. This happened about 3-4 days ago. Tried to get a vet to see him but they are not available (thanksgiving) worried because he continues to bleed at the spot - have washed the area
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

You have done great so far and this bleeding that you see is a normal sequel to this type of injury. The damaged tissue caused by the pellet needs to come out and this is what you are seeing. WE often leave the pellet in if it i quite deep because it does not cause any harm once the tissue has healed. It will help to flush the area where the bleeding is occurring with Betadine every 12 hrs to make sure all of the damaged tissue is released to the outside rather than the inside. Also, it is a good idea to give Tank aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to decrease the inflammation that has been caused by this pellet and decrease Tank's disocmfort.

Keep up the good work...you are doing great so far with Tank.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Loretta,
Thanks for your advice - will apply betadine as advised - Happy Thanksgiving.

Thats great...good job!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Tank!!!