Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I dropped my two dachshunds off at the vet to be boarded

Customer Question

I dropped my two dachshunds off at the vet to be boarded last Monday. This Monday, my husband went to pick them up at 1:00pm. My little male was sick and they said he was fine until that morning but he was just fighting off a little virus and to keep him warm. At 5 o'clock we headed to the emergency animal clinic -90 minutes away. By 10 ocklock my dog was dead from rat poison. The vet we boarded him at and two vets at the emergency clinic both agreed with how quickly he passed and with zero symptoms until the morning of , he had to get the rat poison from the vet. We got there and his blood level was at 25% and they said we will put him on vitamin k and he will be ready to go home tuesdau afternoon. At 8 they called and said they couldnt get his blood to clot and gave him a plasma transfusion. By ten he was dead from drowning in his own blood and lung damage.now, Wednesday the vet is now denying any responsibility and he resarched and it couldnt have happened at his office. Thoughts
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn you have lost your dog. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Were both dogs boarded together?

2- Did the ER vet find evidence of the poison?

3- Did the boarding vet admit that they have or were using rat poison in the facility?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They will not say if they were boarded together i know they went on walks and roamed th office for exercise. They said they have a rat problem but use traps and at first the vet said he must have gotten it from a rat bringing it in or int poison he missed when they moved into the office he also said even if he got it from a rat in the outside kennel its not his fault because it was outside. Yes he was loaded with poison - whatever that means. That's what the er vet said. My thing is we just want an honest answer. His story changes with the day and shows no remorse. Its principle, if you tell the truth why lie? We know it could take a while to seem symptoms and then die but no rat poison has been at our house for two months and it was kept high on a shelf in our saddle house a hundred yards from the house. They are never outside unsupervised because we live on a ranch and too many things for them to get into and they are always together. And my other pup and zero trace of poison . I just need a couple possibilities to what could have happened for a dog to show signs of sickness and be dead in 12 hours.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this experience. In response to your question, when we see patients die so quickly they generally have eaten the poison for a while and were having coagulation disorders yet they were not clinically ill. In other words, the patient already had a problem but was showing no symptoms.

It is also difficult to establish an exact time of ingestion as there are so many different types of anticoagulants with a different set on action and potency. We also have to consider the amount ingested. For example, many of these poisons will take 1-3 days before we can detect evidence of coagulation problems in the blood. But, the patient may take another few days before they become clinically ill. Depending on the amount ingested and type of poison some dogs will not become clinically ill whereas others will. So, as you can see it is difficult to prove right now that your dog took the poison at your vet's.

Finally, it is also important to remember that dogs do develop coagulation disorders. For example, vWD (Von Willebrand Disease) can cause similar symptoms. Though not uncommon in dachshund breed, but, it can happen. There other disorders or factor deficiency that can occur in the patient leading to coagulation disorders. So, if the ER vet did not find actual evidence of poison in the patient and is solely making his recommendation on a coagulation profile I think ER vet is not considering pathological coagulation disorders as a possibility.

In conclusion, I think that your dog may have appeared to be clinically ill quickly but this may have been going on for days prior to him becoming clinically ill. In addition, we need to consider that there could have been other factors/diseases that could have played a role into a coagulation disorder. So, unless your family vet admits that the dog did take the poison in his facility it is difficult to prove this. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter