Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

We thought our female dog was in heat due to a few blood

Customer Question

We thought our female dog was in heat due to a few blood spots where she was sleeping earlier yesterday, now this morning she is not urinating and her belly feels hard. She is wagging her tail when we talk to her but very slow moving like she is in some pain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize for the delay in an expert responding.

Based on what you report I am quite concerned about Lucy. My top worry is she has a uterine infection called pyometra. This is a medical emergency and you should consider having her seen on emergency today. If this is the identified problem then she needs surgery.

Another possibility is she has a urinary tract infection, which can also cause her to be very painful and lethargic. For either issue there is nothing you can do at home. She really needs an exam and some testing (lab work and some imaging such as X-rays).

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hi Samantha,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I am following up to find out how Lucy is doing and if you got a diagnosis for her spotting. If there is anything further I can be of assistance with, please let me know.