Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Can a dog have galactosemia and is it a recessive gene like

Customer Question

Can a dog have galactosemia and is it a recessive gene like it is in humans? What are the symptoms if they have it? If it is passed on like humans not all the pups in the litter have a possibility of them all not being galactosemia.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm not aware of naturally occurring galactosemia in dogs and it doesn't appear on the canine inherited disorders database (please see here: http://ic.upei.ca/cidd/disorder/overview). We can, however, make a dog galactosemic by feeding galactose to them. These dogs, then, become models for study of galactosemia in humans. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Quantico. How is everything going?