Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog has a slow bleeding lower rear leg injury. I noticed

Customer Question

My dog has a slow bleeding lower rear leg injury. I noticed it today as we were returning from climbing a hill behind the house and disinfected and bandaged it, but it is still seeping this evening. It looks like a small balloon that emerged thru the skin. She is an 11 year old lab. We were hunting last week and she got plenty of exercise then, but no injury was apparent. Any idea what it is?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I see that Cuda is having an issue at home. Is there any way that you can take a photo of the injury to post here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will, but it will take a little while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the picture you requested.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

OK. Thank you for the photo. As you can imagine it is impossible for us to diagnose something without actually examining the dog but the photo looks as if this could be some sort of skin growth or cyst that has become irritated . If you have an Elizabethan collar you can put it on your dog to prevent her from licking the area because that is going to delay healing. If it is oozing you can apply a bandage to the area as well to protect it. I would just recommend checking and changing the bandage daily to be sure it isn't looking worse and that the bandage isn't getting too tight. You can apply a triple antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin to the area three times a day. I would get her in to have it looked at by her vet after the holiday if they are closed tomorrow.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=343Here is a link to an article on bandages and wound care.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

I would get her in to have it looked at once your vet reopens to see if they are worried it might be infected and to see if they think it needs to be aspirated to try to identity what kind of growth it may be.