Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My Dog is a 6 yr old Pit/black mouth cur mix, and weighs

Customer Question

My Dog is a 6 yr old Pit/black mouth cur mix, and weighs about 7 lbs. for about 2-3 days he has had REALLY bad gas that smells like rotten eggs and has seemed a little lethargic but not SO much so that it was alarming. a little bit ago my husband came and told me that something was wrong with him. we went in the living room to check on him and he had a hard time standing up. when he finally was standing his whole body was trembling. what could be wrong ???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to here that Browser is not felling well tonight. Is he having diarrhea to go along with the bad gas? Any vomiting? Any dry heaving? Can you look at his gums- are they medium pink like normal or pale or red? Is his abdomen hard and distended or soft and non-painful?

Based on your history, I would strongly suspect that he has some very severe intestinal upset. The trembling could be related to the intestinal upset as well, but he could also have other metabolic problems.

Do you have a local animal emergency room near you? He may need to go see them this evening, especially if he is having diarrhea or vomiting.

If you do not have an ER near by, you can give him some Pepcid, about 0.5mg per pound. I would guess that you meant to say he weighs 70#, not 7#, so I would give him 40mg of Pepcid and see if that helps.

Best regards, ***** ***** this answer helps you.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Browser this evening? Any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he feeling better tonight?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda