Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate a bucket of psyllium pellets intended. No he's

Customer Question

My dog ate a bucket of psyllium pellets intended for horses. No he's nor eating and started to vomit and have dark rubbery stool.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His stomach isn't distended but it does feel like there are hard areas. He looks like he is in pain but still wagging his tail and licking my hands.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since he ate the psyllium?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Is he lethargic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He ate it yesterday and weighs 55lbs. My husband just told me both of the pups ate the psyllium and are acting the same. No lethargy but you can tell their bellies hurt by the way they are standing.
The vomit is a light brown color and smells like apples (the psyllium was apple flavored) The feces is a dark color and feels like rubber.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are brothers and are the same size, 55lbs.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, the psyllium is not going to be toxic. But, as you already know it will cause really bad diarrhea. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start them on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep them indoors; no running or playing when fasting.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If no improvement within 24 hours of doing the above I would have them seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If any of them becomes lethargic, pale gums, anorexic, etc. have him or her checked immediately by a veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter