Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My Lucy is so terrified of thunderstorms we have to medicate

Customer Question

My Lucy is so terrified of thunderstorms we have to medicate her. Unfortunately she knows a storm is heading our way hours before it hits. The poor thing jumps around like crazy, tail between her legs and shakes and shivers all at the same time. What do you suggest to calm her?? I am looking for a natural method as I really dont like medicating her especially when it turns out it wasn't needed as the storm has bypassed us. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

First, can you tell me which medication she has already been prescribed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
II dont know what they are, just something the vet gave us to try out and only use as needed. But really knocks her out. We dont really like to give to her and try to avoid it. I have read about Vita Rapid Tranquil treats wondered if they would work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just send me answers on my email please XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I do not think that the Vitarapid treats would work as well as you would hope... those ingredients would take time to absorb into the bloodstream. It wouldn't hurt to try, though. I think your best bet would be to try a DAP collar or DAP spray... you can buy them on Amazon.com or at a pet store. It is a pheromone product that emits a pheromone that calms and soothes dogs by mimicking the pheromone released by the mother dog when the pups are nursing, and it has a very good soothing effect. I spray it on myself before going into an exam room with a nervous dog. They make collars, too, that you can put on the dog when they are nervous that emit the same pheromone. Adaptil is the brand name that I like, but you can just search for DAP spray or DAP collars. It stands for Dog Appeasing Pheromone. That is a simple, natural solution that works wonders with many of my patients.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.