Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My english cocker spaniel is 11 years old and has a number

Customer Question

My english cocker spaniel is 11 years old and has a number of warts on his body. one wart on his front leg started to bleed a very small amount when he was licking it. I was wondering if there are other options besides surgery and stitches necessary. Melanie Sky
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi Melanie. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Rascal. These skin growths typically are benign growths that are more cosmetic issues. The problem arises though with some that become big enough or irritated enough to start to bleed. When this happens, there isn't a whole lot that can be done with them to fix them besides surgery. The good news is that surgery to remove them can sometimes be very easy. If it is really superficial, a sedative can be given and a local anesthetic given to quickly and easily remove the growth. Could some present the option of cryosurgery to freeze it? Could some present an option to use a laser to cut it off? These may be other options depending on your veterinarian. As far as controlling the bleeding at this time, a little flour on it and pressure can get a good clot to form. Using an E-collar for a short period of time to prevent licking could also be a huge help to let a better scab form.