Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My female lab mix has bumps ( little bigger than a pea) all

Customer Question

Customer: My female lab mix has bumps ( little bigger than a pea) all over her body (not face or legs). She is 5 years old. Her skin is fine. They are under her fur. No itching.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is gradually getting more over a 3 month period.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok. She also weighs about 90 pounds.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is it a cluster of bumps or just a few?

2- Are they firmly attach to the underlying tissue or move with the skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
20 bumps or so not in clusters scattered over her body, they move
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, bumps under the skin could be benign growth like a cyst, fatty tumor, etc. In some cases we can have malignant tumors. In this case, the fact that they are so many I am inclined to believe these could be benign growth like a cyst. To determine the exact nature of the bumps I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter