Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is in the hospital now with liver enzyme levels they

Customer Question

My dog is in the hospital now with liver enzyme levels they said of one is 400 and the other 1300 which is really really high I know they want me to put him down. He has cushings and has been on veteroylnfor a year is there anything I can do. Second opinion? Doesn,t the liver rejuvenate itself?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's important to recognize that those liver enzyme elevations are consistent with Cushing's disease but aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. In order to clarify a hepatopathy (liver disorder) we need to biopsy the liver and that kind of invasive diagnostic should be circumspect in a Cushing's patient who appears too ill to undergo such a stressful procedure. To answer you directly, yes, the liver is marvelously regenerative but the ability of it to regenerate is predicated upon the etiology of the disorder. For example, regeneration isn't a consideration when liver cancer is present.

The questions you need to ask your dog's vet at this time are as follows:

1) Can my dog be maintained in a comfortable state while additional testing is performed?

2) I understand that Cushing's is a terminal disease. Can I expect a reasonable extension of his life expectancy if I have additional testing performed?

3) What will it cost me to hospitalize my dog for 1 week, 2 weeks?

4) Will my dog have a reasonable quality of life even if we find out more about any concomitant disorders to his Cushings's?

Can you upload a copy of all of his test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but his vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can review his test results. I not only do so but also note which testing should have been performed but wasn't.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?