Dr. Karing
Dr. Karing, Veterinarian
Experience:  General veterinarian with a special interest in internal medicine and emphasis on individualized care.
24928096

Our little dog pomeranian cross chihuahua got ill last

Customer Question

Our little dog pomeranian cross chihuahua got ill last Tuesday my daughter took her to vet they didn't know what was wrong but definitely unwell suggested X-ray or go home with anti inflamatries and see what happens that was on the Thursday by sat she was still not eating or drinking. Took to vet sat cause hadn't eaten for four and a half days suggested keep in hospital and put on drip and when hydrated give anaesthetic needle to look down throat and mouth because there seemed to be some problem there drooling and blood saliva later that day the vet said it looked like she had chewed something because there was a cut on her tongue and seemed to be chunks of skin missing from either side of her gums. They kept her there on antibiotics and drip it was tues and still no better so did blood tests urgently they come back saying very high white blood cell count she has a fever of 40 won't eat they have been trying to syringe food but not much luck they said her auto immune system is fighting da da da I don't understand . They have started prednadisilone steroid in her drip this afternoon otherwise there at a stand still if it hasn't shown any improvement in 24 hrs they are going to put her to sleep as it is costing heaps and there not finding the problem. I can't understand how a little dog can go from being so energetic and healthy to this she is only 18 months old if you have any answers or thoughts I would truly welcome them as her fate is not good tomorrow she's lost so much weight it's cruel my daughter visited her again tonight and she didn't even lift her head
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I'm Dr. Karing and I would be glad to help with your questions about Molly. I'm sorry she isn't doing well. I wonder if she could have chewed an electric cord or licked some kind of household cleanser that might contain bleach? That seems like the most likely explanation for the injuries in her mouth that you describe. Such injuries to the inside of the mouth would be very painful and likely result in Molly's refusal to eat. It is also possible that she has similar injuries in her espohagus or stomach if she actually swallowed something harmful. Oral lesions like this could be caused by autoimmune diseases but this seems far less likely since this came on very suddenly and Molly is so young.

My advice is to seek a second opinion right away. Molly probably needs a feeding tube at this point: four days without food is going to inhibit her ability to recover from whatever this problem is. It is impossible to syringe feed enough food to a patient that doesn't want to eat so essentially she is starving now. Esophageal feeding tubes are easy to place and maintain for as many days as it requires for the wounds in her mouth heal. It is important to give her a liquid coating agent by mouth such as Sucralfate for the wounds in her mouth and/or esophagus. In addition, pain medication and antibiotics are in order. Antacids would potentially help if there are ulcers in the stomach from swallowing something bad.

You should bring all of her records including doctor's notes, lab work and any x-rays they took along when you get a second opinion. I would suggest trying to find a veterinary hospital that offers 24 hour care which is ideal for Molly over the next few days: she should not be alone in the hospital overnight. You may be suprised at how she perks up once she has some nutrition and it is possible that she could go home with you once her fever resolves. Keep in mind the fever is likely due to pain, inflammation and/or infection: once all three are addressed properly, I'd expect her to improve.

I hope that the information I provided has beenhelpful. Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if you have more questions orwould like additional information. It ismy goal to provide you with the most complete information possible prior to youleaving a feedback rating. If youreceived all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Sincerely,

Dr. Karing

Expert:  Dr. Karing replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?
Dr. Karing