Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has this skin condition on her back she's a

Customer Question

My dog has this skin condition on her back she's a bulldog and she scratches alot and it looks bumpy and there's no hair
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is Bella on any flea preventative?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 6 months she's not on any flea preventative a vet I took her to said it was like a yeast infection on her back and gave us shampoo but it didn't work

Thanks for the additional information. Did your veterinarian give her anything to help with the itching like an anti-histamine or a steroid? Sounds like she may have developed an allergy to something. Dogs can be allergic to food or things in the environment such as pollen, leaves, grass, or mold. In addition to the shampoo, she will need something to help with the itching such as an anti-histamine or a steroid. There is also a newer allergy medication that your veterinarian may have called Apoquel. It seems to work well in most dogs without the side effects of steroids and/or anti-histamines. Also even if you are not seeing fleas, I still would recommend putting her on a flea preventative because if she happens to be very sensitive to fleas then it does not take much fleas to cause a skin reaction.