brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

Should our dog receive rabies vaccine if she has had a

Customer Question

should our dog receive rabies vaccine if she has had a reaction to this? She is 9yrs old
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

What happened during her reaction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had hives and head shaking
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Did she have any other vaccines given that same day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just rabies
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

OK, since rabies is a human public health concern, it is the only vaccine regulated by law for dogs and cats. Unless she has a life threatening reaction to the vaccine, it is unlikely that the state authorities would approve an exception in her case.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Instead, I would recommend hospitalizing her for the day. I would pre-medicate her with an antihistamine and a steroid prior to the vaccine, and then monitor her for a reaction for the rest of the day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has to be registered in the city we live in and she either has to have vaccine or a letter stating she had an allergic reaction and should not receive this vaccine again by a Vet
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully she is eligible for a 3 year vaccine in your state, and then we would only need to repeat this every third year.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

An allergic reaction alone is not enough. Hives and head shaking are a mild reaction, and I doubt that your vet nor the public health authorities would consider the vaccine that risky in her case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

I can't speak for them, but I doubt that you can get an exemption waiver. This is because rabies is almost 100% lethal in humans, so risk to people takes precedence over pets.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well Im not sure what to do...she's not a public risk ,she's an inside dog. 9yrs old and Im afraid if she gets vaccine it will kill her
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

At this point, there is no reason to fear escalation to a fatal anaphylactic reaction. We see vaccine reactions on a regular basis, and with pretreatment before further vaccination we rarely see repeat reactions.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.