brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I am an australian shepherd breeder (hobbie) one litter a

Customer Question

I am an australian shepherd breeder (hobbie) one litter a year, per female.This is our 16th litter in 11 years-the secound for this pair. My question is two of the 8 puppies have 5 toes on each back foot, they are not dew claws, I have dews removed. They are actual toes with pads and nails, have you heard of such in the aussie breed? Is it ok to breed this pair next year? Gerri
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

If the dog has more than 4 digit on the back paws, the most medial are referred to as the dewclaws. Some dogs have more than 1 dewclaw, and they can have all three digital bones present.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are more familiar with dewclaws that have nails growing, but do not have all 3 phalangeal bones.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

These can be removed as usual, but do not have to be. This is not a concern that should prevent future breedings of this pair. If they produce otherwise good specimens of the breed, they are fine to match again.

Expert:  brisadog replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek.