Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My maltese-poodle mix 9 years old suddenly started reverse

Customer Question

my maltese-poodle mix 9 years old suddenly started reverse sneezing with vomiting that does not coincide with eating. She will suddenly get up, start reverse sneezing, then vomit (usually a yellow-tinged mucous). She is over it withing a couple of minutes. This is sudden onset and she is otherwise very healthy. I have had her to a vet and he said he could give her medicine for it but would like to wait and see if it becomes chronic. I think it has since it is now a once-a day/night occurrence. Should I seek medication or is there a home remedy. Thanks, Denny
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your Taffy is showing these signs!

It is highly unusual for a reverse sneeze to result in vomiting but if she is swallowing air while she is having an episode I imagine it can happen since it can end in a terminal retch.

A few things to try:
- Reverse sneeze can have an allergic component so try benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for a few days to see if this resolves the reverse sneeze episodes or at least makes them less severe so that she is not ending in the vomiting. It might initially cause mild sedation
- To settle the stomach and minimize stomach acids begin pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours. This can help as an over the counter antacid to reduce these symptoms and is much more effective than other antacids such as pepto
- Reduce meals 25% and supplement with white rice which is bland yet bulking and can reduce gi acid production as well

Hopefully this will help reduce these episodes. If you are able to videotape them if they continue for your vet to evaluate that would be ideal but if it continues then please consider further workup to determine the cause of her symptoms and how else we can minimize the vomiting episodes

Please let me know if you have any additional questions today. I am online another 20 minutes but then will be taking a break for a few hours and return later this evening. Good luck to you and Taffy!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!