Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have an 9 year old boxer and noticed yesterday s urine has

Customer Question

I have an 9 year old boxer and noticed yesterday his urine has small traces of blood in it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he urinating more frequently?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1-yes. 2 no. 3 more tires
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would just like to know what t I do I don't need a phone call thank you anyways
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, when we see blood in the urine of a male dog this can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A urinary tract infection, bladder stones, kidney or prostate disease or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes.

To determine the exact underlying cause Tyson will need a hands on examination, blood work, urinalysis and xrays as initial screening test. Unfortunately not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit. Treatment for Tyson will be based on exam and test results. For example, if this is related to an infection he will need antibiotics. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter