Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My small (24 lbs) daschund mix began throwing last night. It

Customer Question

My small (24 lbs) daschund mix began throwing last night. It was gold and had some food pieces in it. It was pretty licquid. (only high quality dog food) I cut back her food to half. She ate it and threw up again. She sleeps in the bed with me and woke me up every 2 hours to go outside last night...about 5 times. This morning I gave her water but no food. I'd made a vet apt but since she seemed fine, cancelled it.
Then she threw up again. Later, she wouldn't eat her food. I finally got her to eat a little more and now I find dark pools of liquid or pudding like material that I thought was poop but it doesn't smell. I think it's blood coming out here rear. It has a rusty smell and on a paper towel parts are red. The first time it looked like small wormlike poops. But now it's more just plain liquid.
I've made and cancelled 3 appts today because $ for an apt are an issue. BUT now I'm getting worried. She has a cold nose, up until the last hour or so, she's trotted around and wanted to play. In other words she didn't seem sick. Now she skulks and acts guilty that she's messed up the floor. She's 8 and a rescue dog. I've hadher for 3 years. A month ago she had a checkup and shots and all was good.
I have an apt with my local vet tomorrow at 11. Do you think I can just keep that or should I take her to an emergency vet tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry about your dog Heidi. Did you already take her into the vet tonight?

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Based on your description of Heidi, my concern is that she could have a syndrome called Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. With it we can see vomiting and diarrhea that can sometimes be bloody or seem like it is all blood. This can be a very serious illness and does require veterinary treatment ASAP. I have attached an article here on HGE: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2946

HGE can cause a dangerous drop in blood pressure due to fluid loss, so many dogs do need at least temporary IV fluids and anti nausea injections. If you didn't get her in yet, I would bring her in ASAP. In the meantime, if she has continued to vomit, do not offer her any food or water, as she is likely to just vomit it back up until she gets some antinausea medicine and the vomiting will cause increased dehydration. I hope this information helps you and that you are able to get her in to see the vet for treatment.

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.