Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My chiwawa is in pain ...looks like s neck is there anything

Customer Question

My chiwawa is in pain ...looks like his neck is there anything I can give him to get us through the night?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Oh, this poor little guy. Neck pain can be quite severe. Pain relief can be tricky in ones that are so small. If he was my patient then I might advise the only over-the-counter pain option is baby aspirin. If he is at least 5 lbs then you may give one-fourth tablet every 12 hours. However, I always advise my clients this is not a very effective pain relief option and it may cause some upset stomach. You also must advise your vet you administered this as it will interact with most of our top choice prescription medications. But, it is really your only option if you elect to wait until tomorrow, have no left over pain relief at home for other issues he's had, and want to do something now. Your other option is to have him seen on emergency.

Keep him quiet. Also, protect him from jumping on/off furniture as best possible.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.