Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog randomly a couple times a year starts to bleed while

Customer Question

My dog randomly a couple times a year starts to bleed while peeing, I have taken her to the vet, they have done blood work, x-rays, everything and nothing looks abnormal. They put her on antibiotics and it clears up, but I'm just looking for a second opinion on what may be causing this as my current vet didn't have any answers.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause of hematuria (blood in the urine) in a female dog is a simple bacterial urinary tract infection (UTI). When Babe is symptomatic what did her urinalysis reveal? There had to be increased numbers of red blood cells but were bacteria and/or increased numbers of white blood cells seen? If the urine were dilute, it's easy to not see bacteria and so when dilute urine is present, culturing the urine is important. Has this been done? I would be pleased to review any test results you could upload to our conversation. I understand that you might not have a copy of the results at home but her vet should be able to give you one which you could scan into your computer and give me the link or you can photograph the page(s) and upload the images by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see such an icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They did do a test but they reported no abnormal levels. The sample was taken off of a floor of the vet office when Babe had an accident in the waiting room so it very well could have been contaminated in some way. Is it safe for her to take the antibiotics several times a year when she has these flare ups? And is there anything I can do to help prevent the UTI's from happening?

Oh my. That's just not the standard of care. Babe needs to have urine taken from her in a sterile fashion - by cystocentesis - percutaneous aspiration of her bladder through her abdominal wall. She's having too many episodes during the year not to know just which bacteria are infecting her and which antibiotic would be best to treat her. If she's treated properly - usually 10-14 days of the appropriate antibiotic and then her urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of that antibiotic is over to make sure that her urinary tract has been sterilized - you might not have to dose her with antibiotics several times yearly. To answer you directly, that's how we prevent these UTIs from happening - treat appropriately the first time and make sure the infection is truly gone. There are dogs who are anatomically prone to these infections. Urine gets trapped in the vagina or vulvar folds. These dogs need surgical correction but in most cases recurrent infections are due to the incomplete veterinary care provided by the vet. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Babe. How is everything going?