Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My labrador puppy 40 lbs just ate a 3.5 oz chocolate bar.

Customer Question

my labrador puppy 40 lbs just ate a 3.5 oz chocolate bar. 85% cacao. Should I be worried?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.

Hello there. I am sorry to hear that Sam is trying to get herself into trouble. I am happy to help you this evening. With the type of chocolate she ate and the amount she is right in between the dose that can cause some moderate to severe issues and mild issues. I would recommend inducing vomiting using hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 4 tablespoons by mouth, wait 15 minutes and repeat if she doesn't vomit. If you can get her to vomit then perfect, she will likely not have any severe side effects. If you cannot get her to vomit I would recommend having her seen by an emergency hospital to induce vomiting to make sure she doesn't have any of the severe issues.

I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much

You are very welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further questions or concerns. I am happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sam. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead