Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My American Eskimo dog 10 years always lively and alert 2

Customer Question

My American Eskimo dog 10 years always lively and alert 2 days ago started meandering around like in a daze with his nose to the ground . I put him outside and he walked right into the swimming pool as though he did not know it was there .I left him in the garage all night wondering if he would be alive next morning .But the next day he was completely normal .
This morning when he woke up he acted as though he was in a daze and after about 15 minutes outside fell in the pool again. About 15 minutes later he seemed to gradually come out of it , and has acted normal ever since.
What should I do.
Tony
La Mesa Ca
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The change in mentation (mental status) you're seeing indicates encephalopathy (brain disorder) - the etiology of which can be intracranial (within his skull) such as brain tumor or extracranial (outside his skull) such as hepatoencephalopathy (a poorly functioning liver intoxicating his brain) or uremic encephalopathy (poorly functioning kidneys intoxicating his brain). His vet will need to thoughly examine him and perform diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests in order to detect an extracranial encephalopathy that might be treatable. If nothing untoward is seen in such testing, MRI of his brain would be indicated and at that point he would likely be referred to a specialist veterinary neurologist (please see here: www.acvim.org) who is best equipped to perform such advanced imaging. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish, Tony. Curiously, I'm very close to you in Rancho San Diego.