Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.
How long ago did he ingest this?
About how many pills did he ingest?
Did he vomit anything up?
Thanks for the information. This is definitely a potentially dangerous toxicity issue. Percocet has acetaminophen in it. Dogs are not able to properly break down this medication, which can lead to liver failure. When you give hydrogen peroxide, make sure it is 3%, and you are giving 1 tablespoon per 15 lbs of body weight. He should have vomited by now. Neither the milk nor ice water will do anything for him. I would HIGHLY recommend getting him to your vet now, so they can induce vomiting, give him activated charcoal, check blood work, put him on intravenous fluids to help flush his system out and increase blood flow to the liver and start medications to help protect his liver. At 1 hour out, he has most likely absorbed enough of this to cause a problem. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.